Earlier this afternoon, the First Minister outlined the Programme for Government for the next year. This included plans to address the current cost of living crisis.
Some of the plans announced today included:
- Scottish Child Payments will be increased to £25 per week from 14 Nov ( and available to children up to the age of 16)
- Emergency legislation to be introduced to put in place a rent freeze until at least 31 March 2023 and a moratorium on evictions, as well as a new tenants’ rights campaign.
- Roll out of free school meals across all primary school age groups
- Doubling the Fuel Insecurity Fund to £20 million to help households at risk of self-disconnection or self-rationing of energy.
- Funding for Discretionary Housing Payments will be increased by £5 million and local authorities will be given flexibility to use Discretionary Housing Payments to help with energy costs as well as rent payments.
- Rail fares will be frozen until March 2023
To find out more about the plans announced, you can download and read the Programme for Government 2022-2023 in full here.